Raise your hand if you love a good quiche. If so, you’re going to want to make these ham cheese quiche cups with mornay sauce. Holy smokes are they delicious! The mornay sauce – with all of its cheesy goodness – is the secret weapon in this recipe. The mornay sauce blended with diced ham, fresh spinach and swiss cheese will leave you savoring every bite and wanting to make the recipe again and again. We left the crust out of this quiche recipe for a filling breakfast or post long run brunch that won’t sit too heavy in your belly.
We love making these ham cheese quiche cups on the weekend, refrigerating them and reheating them through the week for a savory and delicious breakfast that will jump start your day. This is also a great brunch recipe to prepare for your best running friends after a weekend long run.
Ham Cheese Quiche Cups with Mornay Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 lb ham, diced (1/2 of a 16 oz package diced ham)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Let simmer until the butter begins to smells nutty, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk the flour into the butter. Continue whisking until the mixture turns a gentle brown tone – do not let burn.
- Slowly whisk the 1 1/4 cups milk into the flour mixture.
- Add the 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper. If needed, add more salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup swiss cheese to the sauce and whisk until smooth. Let simmer and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place 6 ramekins onto a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and 1/2 cup milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add the diced ham to the bowl and slowly add the mornay sauce to the egg mixture, whisking to combine.
- Using a ladle, divide the mixture between the ramekins, filling each 3/4 full. You will have enough for 5-6 ramekins.
- Bake the quiche cups for 30 minutes, then sprinkle a bit of the remaining swiss cheese onto the top of each quiche.
- Continue baking the quiche cups for about 10 minutes or until the centers of each are firm.
- Serve immediately.
The perfect pairing for these ham cheese quiche cups is, of course, a piping hot cup of coffee. They also pair great with the inspiring stories of the Runner Moms community that are shared on the Runner Moms podcast. If you haven’t yet, check out the latest podcast episodes through your podcast player or on our website.
Before you journey on with your day, browse our other popular recipes like our chipotle burrito bowls and our easy raisin bread recipe. We’d love to connect with you and learn more about what new content you’d like to see on our website. Drop us a note in the comments below or send us an email.
As always, happy running and happy momming!
Join the conversation and connect with other mom runners over on Instagram! Follow us @runner.moms and get first word when new recipes for runners drop on our website.